Venison sausage is baked with a mixture of potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and onions. You can also use kielbasa in this recipe.
- 2 pounds fresh venison sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Remove the sausage from the casings.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the sausage, stirring to break it up into smaller pieces. Remove sausage, and drain well, leaving drippings in skillet. Sauté onion in drippings; drain well and pour off drippings.
Combine onion, tomatoes, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and pepper in skillet. Simmer until thoroughly heated; remove from heat.
Arrange potatoes in a lightly greased 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan. Top with carrots. Sprinkle sausage meat over carrots; spoon tomato mixture over sausage.
Cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
Leave a Reply