- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1kg/2lb 4oz lamb neck fillet, diced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 450ml/16fl oz lamb or beef stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato purée or paste
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 400g tin haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 2cm/¾in cubes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a deep, ovenproof frying pan or flameproof casserole dish. Fry the lamb over a high heat until browned all over (you may need to do this in batches). Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate and set aside. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C Fan/Gas 3.
Add the remaining oil to the pan, then add the onions, celery and garlic and fry for a few minutes. Add the spices and fry for 30 seconds, stirring.
Stir in the stock, tomatoes, tomato purée and mango chutney and bring to the boil, stirring. Add the lamb, season with salt and pepper, stir for a few minutes, then cover and transfer to the oven for about 1 hour.
Add the beans and sweet potatoes, bring back to the boil, then cover and return to the oven for another 45 minutes, or until the lamb is tender and the potatoes are just cooked but still holding their shape.
Check the seasoning and serve piping hot.